I had selected the YouTube search bar for the second Blog Assignment.
If I had been a part of the design team, I feel that the motivation behind the YouTube search bar was to provide a fast and efficient way to access the videos stored in its archives.
However, at YouTube's creation, the founders had to have been nearly clairvoyant to predict how massive YouTube would become. Stemming off of Hoekman, the fact that their search bar's design has stayed nearly the same since its creation shows that YouTube, as an early company, had great foresight for its product.
YouTube also cares deeply about it's search bar, often decorating it to coincide with various events and milestones (Couldn't find any pictures online but I distinctly remember its "Comedy Week" and the 2012 Presidential Election decor and I'm speculating here, but be on the lookout for a Winter Olympics theme).
After watching the Sinek TED Talk, I believe the reason why YouTube cares about its search bar is because of the pivotal role it plays in the website. Those spur of the moment urges to search a video is why YouTube puts so much effort in to their search bar. They knew that they had to have a fast and easy way to satisfy those urges.
Now, with millions and millions of videos to siphon through, any video could be right there in front of you if you just know the right things to type.
No comments:
Post a Comment