Monday, March 10, 2014
8 - Jake Van Schouwen
I think the part of the class that I got the most out of was when we discussed how to effectively work on a team. Having played soccer for 15 years as well many other team-based activities, I thought I had already learned everything there was to know about communicating and dealing with teammates. I found the lecture we talked about team protocols particularly interesting. A lot of what the protocols had mentioned I had already gotten into the habit of doing, but it was interesting to hear what I took to be common knowledge about teamwork being talked about in a college class. This being said, I did not really think about the importance of a decision being unanimous. I had always believed that majority ruled and had been under that state of mind for most of my life. I have been in the majority and in the minority plenty of times, but it makes sense how if the vote is unanimous, everyone has "skin in the game" and wants the design to be successful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really enjoyed this post because I can relate to it. I played soccer for 15 years as well and was apart of many different clubs and organizations and thought I knew how teams could run smoothly. I never realized that unanimity was so important, but looking back on my team experiences I understand that's true because people tend to slack off and not put 100% effort in once their idea is completely shut down. I like how you related your past experiences to this class.
ReplyDelete