Monday, March 10, 2014

8- Adam Johnson

I think I have learned a great deal so far regarding the "whole game" of HCI design, especially as of late.  A point that stuck out to me was the whole idea of over-thinking versus getting it done, especially meeting deadlines.  To do this, one does not invest in sticking to a certain "personality" of a design too much.  Basically, I think I did fairly way accomplishing this by sticking to the seven 'lenses' to see things differently (e.g. creating computer imaginative interactions is something I never would have known what it was several weeks ago).  I think the main thing to note is that there is never a "right"way to do any HCI design, but there are more intuitive and "better" designs.  Lastly, I found it particularly interesting and useful to understanding the "whole game" suggested by Hoekman in Chapter 6 is the idea of help documents being primarily for experts.  I am guilty for this, for some unknown reason I too never check the "Help" section of any design or software and attempt to do it myself.  I now know that it is very useful, especially for intermediately-skilled users of any design. To understand the "whole game" one must note help documentation of any HCI design to understand what is going on.  All of this in its totality is what I regard as most useful to actually understanding the "whole game" of HCI design.

1 comment:

  1. I think you make a great point about the help documents in a design/program. When designing for a user, if it is hard to use, it has no chance to become popular. This creates a real challenge for designers to try and create complex programs while keeping their functionality and design very intuitive to help the user adapt to the program when first introduced. Intuitive design is a requirement, not an extra feature. The understanding of this is one of many ideas that I have learned about "the whole game" and has changed my perspective of HCI.

    ReplyDelete