Monday, March 10, 2014

8- Emily Gries


Although I learned a lot throughout these first eight weeks, the thing I learned the most came to a conclusion today. We watched the YouTube video, “Fail Faster.” I have always been a perfectionist in my school work. Throughout all my projects for both this class and others, I have always spent too much time trying to find the perfect idea. I would come up with what I thought were subpar ideas and just throw them away because they were not what I thought was perfect. I have gotten to the point several times in which I would keep procrastinating doing my projects because of this, the first simple problem: coming up with an idea. Today the part of the whole game that became clear to me was that coming with a few ideas that maybe aren’t great and choosing one right there and then is the way to go. Since no idea is perfect, ideas are ever changing. There will always be flaws and usability problems with all designs; and this can be found through research and usability testing. All this in mind, I realized that  spending too much time coming up with an initial fabulous idea is not worth it. It is much better to fail faster, and then there is more time and money to improve on that initial idea and make it as perfected as possible rather than spending the majority of the time coming up with another idea and having minimal time to test and improve it.

1 comment:

  1. "Fail Faster", the video we watched today in class was super helpful to me as well. I have struggled with wanting my design idea to be perfect instead of showing it to people early and iterating on the idea. Ideas are never perfect and I finally realized that today as well. The most valuable asset we have is our time and if we waste it trying to perfect a design idea then we will never get to designing great products. Designs are never fully complete or perfect and that is comforting to finally understand.

    ReplyDelete